The Past Continuous Tense Hakkında Bilgi
GEÇMİŞ ZAMAN HİKAYESİ
The past continuous tense
Study the picture and the examples.
We were playing tennis at 4 o’clock. (1)
I was doing my homework between nine and ten. (2)
The villagers were working in the field all day yesterday. (3)
We were coming home when the rain started. (4)
While Mary was watering the garden, her husband was washing the car. (5)
His health was getting worse and worse. (6)
As seen above, we generally use the past continuous tense to express an action continuing at a point of definite time in the past (1), an action which continued between two definite time in the past (2), the actions continuing in the past for a period of time (3), at the time when another action occurred (4), or where two actions were happening at the same time in the past (5), or a developing state (6).
Exercise 1. Arrenge the follwing words to make meaningful sentences.
1. met / while / down / the / I / your / I / street / was / brother / walking.
2. you / were / child / shouting / at / why / the ?
3. were / you / supported / attending / who / while / university / you ?
4. listening / our / was / grandfather / telling / a / we / were / to / him /story / attentively / while.
5. caught / were / the robbers / they / trying / the police / to open the safe / while.
6. yesterday / sleeping / the baby / afternoon / all / was.
7. ammunition / soldiers / and / Turkish / the front / the young / the old / were / while / the women / at / to / carrying / them /were / fighting.
8. died / the doctors / on / the patient / while / were / unexpectedly / operating / he.
9. trying / under / a terroist / was / to / bomb / a car / exploded / while / plant / a time / it.
10. my / attending / training school / while / doing / were / their / brothers / I / military / was / teacher / service.
Exercise 2. Look at the pictures and complete the sentences, using the past continuous.
1. I ………………………. in the pool at then this morning.
2. Jane …………………….. the ironing.
3. The farmer ………………………… all day yesterday.
4. I …………………………
5. While my father was reading the newspaper, my mother ………………………..
6. While it was raining heavily, the footballers …………………………
Exercise 3. Make questions, using the past continuous with the words given.
1. what / you / do / when / I telephoned ?
2. where / you / go / early this morning ?
3. the people / applaud / the soldiers while they / march / down the street ?
4. when the bell rang for the lesson, who / you / talk to ?
5. the fishing boats / sail / towards / land when the storm broke out ?
6. who / talk / when the teacher came in ?
7. you / study / at university / between 1990-1995 ?
8. what / Mrs White / do / while Mr White / look after / the baby ?
9. while the local people / try / to put out the fire / fire engines arrived.
10. the spectators / watch / the bulls with excitement while they / fight ?
Exercise 4. Ask questions for the underlined words.
1. The Kutlus were living in Antalya in 1997
2. We were painting our house all weekend.
3. The workmen were trying to mend the burst gas pipe when I saw them
4. When my little brother started his primary education, I was attending
5. While the secretary was typing the reports, the manager was
6. The Demirs were living in Bursa between 1982 and 1985.
7. When I entered the classroom, the teacher was taking the register.
8. When we arrived, the attendant was changing the oil in a car.
9. When the door of the intensive care room opened, the doctor was listening to the patient’s heart.
10. When the rain started, the workers were picking olives by the river.
Usefel pattern sentences
We were having lunch at twelve o’clock yesterday.
They were playing football between four and six.
When my father arrived, I was reading a newspaper.
While I was doing my homework, my sister was watching a film on TV.
The children were running about among the trees all day long.
Writing and speaking
Write a passage :
a. about what was happening when you returned home from schooll yesterday evening.
b. about what was happening when you got to school this morning, and then read your passages out to the class.